I have accepted that I am not the coolest person in the world.
Most of my childhood, I struggled to come to terms with gangly arms and legs.
A very small head. Broad shoulders.
Really bad eyes and big glasses, braces for an underbite and lots of hand-me-downs.
| Bad hair... |
I have a strange penchant for spouting off facts and correcting people's grammar.
I am rubbish at maths but have an uncanny knack for proper usage of the English language.
I can sing a song after hearing the hook just once.
I quote film lines. A lot.
| A tad bit clumsy as well... |
I am geek.
Hear me roar.
My proper English husband doesn't quite like the 'labels' we Americans tend to use - Geek, Nerd, Jock and the like are all cliquey ways that we are divided in Small Town High School, USA.
But unlike the negative connotation they had for me at 13-and-awkward years old, I have come to fully cherish my inner geekiness at 32-and-only-slightly-less-awkward years old.
![]() |
| Glasses AND a band uniform!? Love it!! |
Married for five years now, this regression into Geek Town is only made more apparent by the stark contrast to the social lives of our single friends. While they are out having drinks and dinner, I am slipping into my comfy PJs and settling in to watch Jersey Shore with the Hubs - and that drama is just about all I can handle...
| I look comfortable as a Nerd, Hubby less so - he is cooler than me... |
While they are thinking about heading out to the bars or a big concert, I am concerned that my tulips and hydrangeas are going to be destroyed by the excess rain we have been having.
While they are setting lunch dates and working in an office, I am cleaning my house in leg warmers and an Amy Winehouse-esque head scarf. I have literally just put on a pair of wellie boots to go check on my three chickens...I'm worried about them in all this rain.
Don't get me wrong, I don't feel weird about my current lifestyle. Hubby and I certainly do cool things like go out to nice restaurants and throw hugely fun dinner parties. But I'll be damned if the need for a cracking social life would ever trump our need to get that sweet baby girl into bed at a decent hour.
Some people just need their sleep...Baby and Hubby included.
| What a couple... |
So to all the people who have struggled with the label which has been given to you...
Embrace it, I say.
Took me a while, but this Geek in leg warmers is here to stay...
![]() |
| Cool baby girl...she may have a chance... |
xoxo sjkh


Amen! Your life sounds strangely familiar and I wouldn't trade it for anything!
ReplyDeleteGood post, GREAT band picture.
ReplyDelete